A Christmas Carol is my favourite story of all time: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. Quite why I have decided this December to subject myself each day to one of twenty four filmed or animated versions (my offbeat version of an advent calendar) and report on them for my two dear readers is a conundrum not even the all-seeing, all-knowledgeable spirits of Christmas could fathom...or phantom out. It could be the heart-warming timelessness of Dickens' moral tale that keeps studios coming back to this story time and time again, or it could just be that the copyright has long since expired. Wherever possible there are links on each posting to allow you to see the version for yourself. Consider yourself warned, some are better than others!

Sunday 6 December 2009

Chic Murray Stars In 'A Clydeside Carol'

Chic Murray was a legend of Scottish comedy.  That seems strange when the average Scot today would be able to relate entire sketches from the mildly-amusing show 'Chewing the Fat' yet not a single one of Chic's one-liners.  What's also strange is that 'A Clydeside Carol' features little to smile about in what can only be described as decidedly black comedy if it is to be described at all.

Murray plays Willie 'Smellie' Broon, a perpetually drunk tramp and former Shipyard worker while Jeff Rawle (with a dodgy Glasgow accent he just gets away with) plays Plywood his friend, allowed out of "the home" for a day and with only one wish - that to spend Christmas with his old friend at the community centre.  Various jobbing actors queue up to show Smellie the evils of his ways over the course of the programme, culminating in a happy, yet not particularly satisfying ending.

4 comments:

  1. Is there anywhere I can watch this? My dad wrote it and I've long since lost the copy we had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was in it as well. I would love to get a copy as well. Are you a Harkins? Please let me know if I can get a copy.

      Delete
  2. I was in it and have a copy. Email me, tell me your dad's name and I might be able to help. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was in it as well. If you can get me a copy it would be much appreciated.
      If you can assist please let me know?

      Delete